Thursday, February 28, 2008

Who is more romantic: men or women?

Last semester we had a very interesting blog discussion about how smart men and women are. Due to the result of students voting that were arranged by Amin, men are smarter than woman. However, some of male students voted twice from different computers. Could the final results be considered as true? I don't think so ........ :) Yey, ladies?
Anyways, what I was thinking about today was romantism. Who is more romantic: men or woman. The first idea that came into my mind was WOMEN! For sure! They always want to have a romantic dinner, a romantic surprise, a bunch of flowers with a romantic note... However, after I read some articles on this topic, I found out that my first thought was completely wrong.
Who Falls In Love Faster? Men!In one study, seven hundred young lovers were asked, “How early did you realize you were in love?” Men fell in love faster. Before the fourth date, 20 percent of men had taken the tumble, whereas only 15 percent of the women realized Cupid had stung them; 43 percent of the women still didn’t know they were in love by the twentieth date, compared to only 30 percent of the men.Women are more cautious about getting involved.
Who Is More Idealistic About Love? Men!Another study determined that men had a far more idealistic and less practical view of love. Men were not nearly as concerned with a woman’s social position or how much money she made.More men felt that as long as two people truly love each other, they should have no trouble getting along in marriage.
Who Usually Initiates the Breakup? Women!A group of Harvard scientists vigilantly followed the affairs of 231 Boston couples. Of those who split up, usually it was the woman who suggested the separation. The men wanted to stick it out to the bitter end.
Who Suffers More From a Breakup? Men!The men felt lonelier, more depressed, unloved, and least free after a split. The men reported that they found it extremely hard to accept that they were no longer loved and that she had really gone. What disturbed them most was that they felt there was nothing they could do about it. They were plagued with the hope that if only they had said the right thing… done the right thing….In fact, three times as many men commit suicide after a disastrous love affair as women do.
Who Loves Their Lovers More? Men!Men love their lovers more in relation to others in their life. Several researchers at Yale University polled male and female participants from age 18 to 70 and asked, “Who do you like, and who do you love, most in your life?” The choices were lover (or spouse), best friend, parents, and siblings.Men, it turned out, loved and liked their lovers more than their best friends, whereas, with women, the rankings were about equal. Many women liked their best friends more than they liked their lovers!
Gentlemen, the next time your lover complains, “You men are so unromantic,” just show her these statistics and say “You know, dear, you have a good point. I’m sorry. I’ll try to be more romantic. I love you.”
:) :) :)

9 comments:

anna said...

How about J.London's "The Little Lady of the Big House"?

Martin said...

I knew it! That exactly how I feel when I'm in love! I tend to idealize my lover. I'm gaga day and night about her and my friends, my family, and my dog no longer exist in my life. The girl whom I'm in love with became my sun. If we get apart, I would cross hundred miles through forests, deserts, or mountains to be close to her. Maybe I'm excessively, over, extra romantic but what can I do? I a man and romance flows in my blood. :)

We will,we will rock U!! said...

hahahaha, it's so funny!!
"Who Usually Initiates the Breakup? Women!
Who Suffers More From a Breakup? Men!
Who Loves Their Lovers More? Men!"

Oh, no!! How miserable we men are!!
Actually, I'm not a romantic man, either. And the thing is, I don't know how to be romantic, as I haven't experienced romantic so I don't know what Romantic is (noun clause, haha). I just know how romance is used in writing poems.

Scott Douglas said...

Holy cow, that's really fascinating. I would have thought it was the other way around!

We will,we will rock U!! said...

I just noticed your adjective word order. Perfect! haha...
I'm hungry enough to eat up a whole head of cattle```

We will,we will rock U!! said...

I'm very fine except hungry. How about you? How's your work?

hjm.huang said...

I should tell it to my sister because she is always complaining that her husband is totally not romantic.

Amin said...

Hi, a quote from your blog "43 percent of the women still didn’t know they were in love by the twentieth date" well, that is exactly because they are not smart enough to understand it :D

Unknown said...

I loved it my best, we should read it again once with each other!!! :) xoxo.